(meteorobs) Bolide, not Perseid-- and not Bolide

MEM mstreman53 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 13 18:06:48 EDT 2013

My CIA (comments in advance):-)
Unless you saw this explode AND heard said explosion this was a "FIREBALL", not a bolide.  Bolides are rare and we need not blur the distinction using it to describe a spectacular fireball--no matter how spectacular it was.  The term "Bolide" is not defined by the IAU so far as I recall, however, it has a well understood traditional definition.  The sound aka report is a critical component of that definition.

Regards,
Elton

Bolide, not Perseid (Jodie Reynolds)