(meteorobs) Perseids from Central TX

Tom Richter thrich82 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 13 23:07:02 EDT 2013

Don't know if there is another protocol for these but following are my observations of the Perseids from the Austin TX area, different observing locations on different nights but both dark sky sites with minimum visible stars fainter than mag 5.8, (which is good for me).

Aug 12
A good morning.  Only got one good half hour of counting due to talking and family members, (daughter on lap).
Counted 31 Perseids and 8 others from 4:30 to 5:00 am CDT.  We saw one spectacular Perseid fireball, hard to estimate the magnitude it was so bright, at least -6 or -7 (comparing it to -7 and -8 Iridium flashes I've seen), with a long lasting train.  A few other brighter than -2 meteors. Good Zodiacal light and faint Zodiacal band in the sky by 5:30 am.

Aug 13
4:15 to 4:40 CDT:  14 Perseids, 7 others
4:45 to 5:10:  12 Perseids, 3 others
5:15 to 5:40:  13 Perseids, 7 others.
No fireballs this morning.  Definitely a fall off in numbers and bright ones from the day before.

Tom