(meteorobs) Daytime Craterids showing surprise activity *right now*

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu Aug 29 02:10:57 EDT 2013

Yes, there has been quite a lot of discussion about this. No new
estimates of meteor activity, however. The problem is that the comet was
not observed during the perihelion passage that generated the particular
debris stream we will encounter, and without knowing something about the
actual activity at that time, actual ZHR values are little more than
educated guesses.

New observations might help characterize the comet's behavior, but it is
the previous, unobserved activity that is really important.

Jeremie Vaubaillon is looking for a few hundred thousand Euro to mount a
dual aircraft observing campaign over North America in May, if you'd
like to chip in... :)

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory