(meteorobs) One Step Closer

drobnock drobnock at penn.com
Wed Dec 4 09:26:49 EST 2013

Jay, if you read the past post on this subject, most of your questions
can be answered. If you do not have access to the past post please see:
http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Regulatory/Part%2097%20-%2004-28-2011.pdf

section §97.203 Beacon station.
The concept you suggest for the beacon is good. But -- and there is
always a BUT -- you must follow the FCC regulations.  Or someone may
file an FCC complaint about your operation.

My earlier suggestion for an experimental license was just that -- a
suggestion. A beacon can be set up in the amateur band. But others -ARRL
- should also be in the loop. For the the group,  do you know the
frequency you plan to use for the beacon?
George John Drobnock

Jodie Reynolds wrote:

> In the US, you don't need "certifications/registration/licensing etc."
> for homebrew rigs.
>

> You are required to meet all requirements, and employ good engineering
> practice.  You and you alone are responsible for its deviation,
> stability, etc, so have the equipment on-hand (or rented) to measure
> and diagnose, and know how to use it.  If you're splattering all over
> the band, expect problems with the Fed, but if your call sign isn't in
> the database, expect problems anyway.
>

> --- Jodie
>

> Tuesday, December 3, 2013, 8:16:19 PM, you wrote:
>

> > I am one step closer to the installation of my 6 Meter Forward
    Scatter Beacon Transmitter. It appears there is an inexpensive way
    to make a 30 Watt Brick Amplifier which seems a good choice for an
    initial experimental Beacon.  I would appreciate any and all advice
    concerning installation, especially the legal stuff, like FCC
    certifications/registration/licensing etc.

    Jay Salsburg