(meteorobs) One Step Closer

Jay Salsburg jsalsburg at bellsouth.net
Fri Dec 6 23:53:56 EST 2013

Hello Jodie

Thank you for your reply.

My initial plan is to us a 30 watt amplifier with a custom-made exciter in the Amateur band of 50 – 50.1 MHz, allocated for CW, Beacons. One thing I notice in the allocation chart is the designation “beacon subband” of 50.060 – 50.080 MHz, where I assume CW Beacons must be situated. What these charts do not show is that the “Rules” say all transmissions must announce their “Call Sign” and physical location, every 30 minutes, an inconvenient nuisance of which I assume the modulation index must not produce modulation sidebands outside this narrow band of 20,000 Hz. My first task is to renew my Technical Certificate, which I consider an inconvenient nuisance since I am previously employed by Tektronix, a retired Test and Measurement Engineer. I have the equipment and expertise to build the exciter but I will not even start that difficult project until I renew my certificate.

Since a Beacon is not transmitting information, it seems logical to be able to upgrade its effective power after establishing its viability. The usual use of Beacons in this band is to test Skip and Atmospherics, this Beacon is for scientific measurement of Meteors, hopefully upgrading its effective power will be allowed. Thinking ahead, it may be better to improve the Antenna, rather than add more power.

Jay Salsburg