(meteorobs) Large fireball over Arizona Dec 11 2013 - video from near Santa Fe

Jodie Reynolds spacerocks at spaceballoon.org
Wed Dec 11 15:30:07 EST 2013

Hello Jim,

Let me first take the opportunity to ask other camera owners a favor:

Please go toss a black plastic trash bag or a blanket or something
over your camera some evening and record thirty seconds or so of
nothing but that black cover.  This creates dark frames, and allows
us to stack your video to acquire more reference objects while
simultaneously allowing us to subtract the hot and dead pixels (some
of these cameras have a lot).  My cameras, with the exception of the
Sandia Sentinel camera, are pixel mapped in the camera - subtraction
happens before it even reaches a recorder.

Bonus points for recording a minute of video a few times over a few
separate nights with no events and no moon, then storing them with
precise time and date.  These allow us to stack the frames and build
a known calibration profile.

In Thomas' example:
East/West are mirrored, and the distortion of the
lens isn't too bad, although down in that corner like that you're
never going to get _that_ close for such a short event.  The moon is
a little lower than I'd expect suggesting some stretching out at the
edges that would need to be corrected.  Without another camera that
can see the event through the region of critical focus, I doubt
anyone would make it very far though.

Here's his sky with grid marking, close enough for the data that's
there:

http://www.spaceballoon.org/20131211_021057AZ8361_Ashcraft-Sky.png

--- Jodie