(meteorobs) GEM rates

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at shaw.ca
Sat Dec 14 06:54:45 EST 2013

GEM rates remains firmly at zero here in Edmonton. An unrelenting wall of
white skies consisting of varying thicknesses of white cloud and sporadic
white moonlight reflecting off bright white snow cover adds to the white
light pollution exacerbated by the whitening haze and particulate crud.

Did I mention it's -20° C. on an ongoing basis with wind chills considerably
below that, and with snow accumulating by several centimetres per day. Not
exactly ideal for meteor watching, or for driving to remote, snowbound sites
in the middle of the night for that matter.

It's been a bad autumn (I believe that's what the current season is
technically known as, it just Feels like winter), as I have seen zero
Orionids, Taurids, Leonids, or Geminids in 2013. With a daytime Quads in the
immediate future this is my worst meteor observing season since I started
back in the 80s.

It's making me cranky.

Bruce
*****