(meteorobs) Dec 12/13 2013 Geminid observation from north Florida

Bias, Peter V pbias at flsouthern.edu
Sat Dec 14 09:47:42 EST 2013

Paul and list,

I am down in central Florida and we had the same front coming through but not quite as far south with the heavy clouds. We had some clear skies off and on before midnight and allowed some windows of opportunity. I just watched; didn't even take note of the times because I knew the data would be funky, but I saw 12 Gems between roughly 10:30 EST and 11:00. One was just like Paul mentioned although I think it was considerably brighter  (seems like a wild guess when nothing to compare it too; but brighter than Venus during flares) - multi colors, flaring, spitting off parts, etc. Best Geminid I've ever seen - and I've been watching Geminids since 1970. Several of the meteors were colorful and bright - again, something I've not seen with the Geminids before. They usually seem to me to appear as a milky color without the colorful flashes, but not last night. One other oddity (and I'm not sure if I even saw it correctly!) - one meteor seemed to start out as a black meteor and then switch over to a bright flashing meteor farther along the path. Never saw this before either. Crazy night.

   Pete in Lakeland