(meteorobs) New here...

rmbehr at istar.ca rmbehr at istar.ca
Sat Dec 14 11:20:43 EST 2013

Hello everyone,

Just recently joined this list, happy to see more people like me who
enjoy the "sparklies"!!  The short bio:  middle-aged woman whose hobby
is photography, got drawn into shooting the night sky after attending
talks by local astronomer Terrence Dickinson showing what one can get
with long exposures, remembering how when teenagers older brother
would recruit me  to help carry gear to his observatory, now back into
astronomy and a member of the local chapter of RASC.  Living near
Kingston, Ontario, where the weather has turned to crap ever since I
started pointing my camera upwards after sunset a few years ago.
Didn't help when I bought a 12 inch Skymaster truss dobsonian, it does
a great job of gathering dust.

Anyway, back to the subject of sparklies:  Bruce, I feel your pain and
share your grumpiness.  Perseids clouded out, Orionids clouded out,
Leonids clouded out, now brutal cold has teamed up with the clouds and
moon to ruin the Geminids.  Came home last night around 10:00 p.m.
after enjoying a henfest Christmas gathering, stood in the driveway
for a couple minutes, saw one meteor skipping between the gathering
clouds.  Realized after 2 minutes that "it ain't happening out here",
not only -15C but a bit of breeze making the windchill unbearable,
headed back inside to stoke up the woodstove.  Set the alarm for 3:00
a.m. when Orion and Gemini head around to the west and can be seen in
a narrow band out my diningroom window, wanted to put the camera on
set-it-and-forget-it to run a continuing series, hopefully catching a
meteor or two, but the clouds had thickened up considerably.  *sigh*
One can only hope for clear skies during the Quadrantids, and maybe,
maybe, maybe something will happen when Earth goes spinning through
the path of the now-defunct ISON.  Dare we hope it gave us something
useful on the incoming run?

RoseMarie