(meteorobs) GEM rates

Alex Daskalakis sw1nzx at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 17:57:37 EST 2013

Hi all
Clouded out tonight, unfortunately. Last night was a treat, with highlights
a pair of GEMs passing either side of Leo simultaneously and a -2 GEM
flying down to the east of Leo for around 30 degrees, with a nice train.
Also saw, what looked to be like, 3-4 sigma Hydrids (?) - they were very
low on the horizon and looked too far to be GEMs although the radiant was
similar.

Total tally in excess of 100 in 2 hours of viewing between 2300 and 0100
CET. I did notice a 'clumping' effect, where for 5 mins there were
virtually none, and, in the next 5 mins, there were 10-15 flying by. I
would say split neg. magnitudes and positive, using Sirius as a marker.

Hopefully the rest of you have better skies tonight.

Best regards,
Alex