(meteorobs) Geminid fireball with scatter

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Tue Dec 17 08:34:59 EST 2013

On 12/16/13 10:01 00000, Chris Dolman wrote:
> Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the ghosting that moves about the
> shot? Is it somehow related to event?
>
> Chris

Hi Chris,

That is the "capture box".  The Sentinel system is designed to trigger
on a flash of light and then an active recording "box" follows the
light.  My system is set up to make a 12 second capture. After the
meteor extinguishes the box just moves around for the remaining time.
Data is only recorded in the "box" area to save memory space.

Here is another capture of a long fireball and you can see how the
capture box tracks the light.
http://www.heliotown.com/FBvhf20091009_0804Ashcraft.mp4

Thomas