(meteorobs) Interesting Geminid pair

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu Dec 19 11:21:26 EST 2013

Yes, I've seen this sort of thing with much larger fireballs. I'm just a
bit curious how a small Geminid particle- probably not more than a few
millimeters, ended up in two pieces with a substantial separation. The
usual suspects- tidal disruption and aerodynamic effects- don't really
seem to work very well in this case. I do like the suggestion that they
were fused with some volatile material, allowing a separation well
before reaching the Earth.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory