(meteorobs) A Visual Observing Question

meteors at comcast.net meteors at comcast.net
Sat Dec 28 09:26:41 EST 2013

Your problem is common among meteor observers - very few are fortunate
enough to have dark skies in their backyard. In the 1990's I was able to
observe from my yard, but then a 24-hour golf driving range was built
about 10 miles away, ending that arrangement! Most observers I know
travel to dark sky location such as national or state parks, forests, or
overlooks. Travel time is often up to several hours one-way.

Observing with skies under LM=5.0 is certainly possible, but as other
have mentioned, your rates will suffer. In the past most groups
preferred observations with LMs better than 5.0 to reduce the
statistical errors in their calculations. NAMN is the only group that I
can remember which routinely published these reports online. Nowadays I
see meteor reports under full moon conditions.

My suggestion is to continue using your backyard to hone your skills,
and continually be on the search for a nearby dark sky location. A good
place to start is state and national parks.

I wish you luck!

Mark Davis, South Carolina, USA
meteors at comcast.net
namn at namnmeteors.org