(meteorobs) A Visual Observing Question

Gural, Peter S. PETER.S.GURAL at leidos.com
Sat Dec 28 10:01:05 EST 2013

Paul Z.

There were some fine answers in the previous posts. I would only supplement them with keep observing visually, but consider using video as well. You could set up a video system at your home, where a sky lm of +4, is less of an issue. Then travel to your dark site for visual observations when you have the opportunity or observe significant showers. You could also try telescopic observations from your home site.

And if you consider the video option, then you may be able to set up a network of 2 or more cameras, to do triangulation and orbit estimation from other interested meteorists in your geographic area. While video results are more precise in the data they provide, especially if you can arrange two stations, I do not want to discourage your visual observations. It is how most of us started out and can contribute valuable information when everyone else is clouded out or fallen asleep. It also helps to give you fundamental experience in meteor science. And there is the beauty of the night sky and flash of meteor light, that loses something when viewed on a computer monitor. But video and telescopic are other options is less than ideal sky brightness and can also provide valuable meteor information.

Cheers... Pete G.,  Sterling, VA. USA