(meteorobs) Here we go again -- media misinformation concerning Russian meteor event

Kim Youmans meteorsga at bellsouth.net
Fri Feb 15 08:55:23 EST 2013

It should come as no surprise that the media is reporting this event (again) as
a meteor "shower."  What really griped me most upon awakening to this historic
news was Good Morning America's weather guy bragging how he had a "special
interest" in these types of events then went on to compare asteroids and
meteroids, stating that unlike asteroids, meteroids "don't have orbits."  SHM
facepalm whine moan groan.

Seems also the media was quick to dismiss this as unrelated to today's asteroid
flyby, which it probably most certainly was but unless the timing was completely
off, I doubt anyone has had time to calculate an orbit for the Russian meteor.
 Still, I can't wait to get home from work as watch the dozens of videos from
this event!

Kim Youmans