(meteorobs) Here we go again -- media misinformation concerning Russian meteor event

Marco Langbroek marco.langbroek at online.nl
Fri Feb 15 09:06:50 EST 2013

Op 15-2-2013 14:55, Kim Youmans schreef:

> Seems also the media was quick to dismiss this as unrelated to today's asteroid
> flyby, which it probably most certainly was but unless the timing was completely
> off, I doubt anyone has had time to calculate an orbit for the Russian meteor.

In this case, no trajectory for the Russian bolide was needed to come to that
conclusion.

With a geocentric radiant at declination -81 degrees for the 2012 DA14 orbit, it
is impossible for fragments from an associated "stream" to impact at a latitude
as high as 55 North. As seen from the viewpoint of approaching 2012 DA14
fragments, 55 N is the "backside" of the Earth.

- Marco

-----
Dr Marco (asteroid 183294) Langbroek
Dutch Meteor Society (DMS)