(meteorobs) Quadrantids from central Alberta -- preliminary

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at shaw.ca
Thu Jan 3 11:39:07 EST 2013

(Apologies if duplicated)

Just back now from a late Quadrantids run to Beaver Hills Dark Sky Preserve.
Managed a nearly two-hour observing window from ~12:40 - 14:30 UT (05:40 -
07:30 MST), close to the predicted peak at 13h UT.  Skies were iffy with a
fair bit of cirrus but usable, around 5th mag on average until the last half
hour or so.

In that time I made 50 recordings, with an estimated average of not much
better than one meteor per recording. There were a small number of brief
bursts of 2 or 3 meteors in a short period. A fair number of bright meteors
were in evidence, with one or two borderline fireballs.

I also (de)tuned my car radio to a "clear" channel at FM 93.1 & monitored
radio hits. While I didn't count these, the level of activity was pleasingly
high.

I'll transcribe my voice recordings after I get a little sleep.

Bruce

*****