(meteorobs) Strong QUA results from Colorado

Jay Salsburg jsalsburg at bellsouth.net
Thu Jan 3 15:22:43 EST 2013

Here it is almost 2 in the afternoon and the Meteor shower is still very
active. My NAVSPASUR receiver is very busy with more than 2 high amplitude
Meteors per minute with a sprinkling of over-dense returns. This morning
there were several occurrences of multiple long-duration over-dense returns
some of which were three and four in number in the space of 30 seconds as
though they were on a string one after the other. If anyone is interested in
the screen shots just, reply and I will post them.

Watched my Meteor Observatory this morning but there was overcast until
about 4:00 AM and The Moon was very bright. Recent adjustments to the Camera
in my New Nearsky Meteor Observatory is producing better clarity and
minimizing bloom from bright objects like The Moon; the camera has a "Head
Light Compensator" which reduces bloom from bright objects. I successfully
engage the Cameras Hot Pixel Map eliminating Hot Pixel defects in the Image.
Thanks goes out to Kevin Palivec for his advice with setting up my camera.

I am studying Video Processing in MatLAB and will start Coding soon to see
if it is possible to make a modern Video Meteor Capture App that will work
with USB capture devices and cameras. Hopefully my experience last year of
Programming MatLAB for several Months will help me with this new App idea.
Not to be too Nerdy, my initial idea is to test each video frame against a
table of typical Meteor frames, much like face recognition helps a
point-and-shoot camera focus on faces, this will trigger the storage of a
preempt buffer, of frames before and after detection. I am hoping such a
technique will eliminate High CPU usage and many of the motion capture
problems with current Meteor Detection Apps, but I could be wrong, any
suggestions?

Jay Salsburg