(meteorobs) Quadrantids from Oregon 1/3

Wes Stone howard048 at centurytel.net
Fri Jan 4 01:29:21 EST 2013

I observed the Quadrantids for 1.8 hours from my yard on the morning of 2013
January 3, from 1228-1418UT. Temperature was a frigid 1.5F (-17C), and the
sky was very clear without a hint of fog or haze. On the downside, the moon
was shining off 2 feet of snow. I blocked the moon behind a spruce tree and
accepted some obstruction from this tree and another tall tree in my field.
Limiting magnitude was a steady 5.8.

Meteor activity was slow at the beginning of the watch, and picked up in
fits and starts thereafter. I ended up seeing 58 Quadrantids and 13 other
meteors. Mean Quadrantid magnitude was 1.5, while the sporadics averaged
2.5. Ten Quadrantids were in negative magnitudes, but none brighter than -3.
Most of the brighter Quadrantids were yellowish, and only a few left wakes.
One highlight: a spectacular magnitude +1 earthgrazing sporadic that was
orange with a well-defined train. A -5 Iridium flare also gave me a start,
as did occasional chattering noises from mystery creatures stirring in the
dark.

Observer: Wesley Stone (STOWE)
Location: Chiloquin, OR (42d 35m N, 121d 52m W)
Method: Counting/Tape Recorder