(meteorobs) Quadrantid results from Central Alberta

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at shaw.ca
Fri Jan 4 12:18:20 EST 2013

Hey Michael, I just use my car radio & antenna, & tune it to a "clear channel"' with clean static. Have done this for many years to enhance visual observing. Amazes me that a simple car antenna would work as well as it does.

About 10 years ago when we had the first edition of the Sky Scan Science Awareness project going we used Yagi antennas and modified car radios (had to be digital) along with Radio Sky Pipe software & it worked great. In those days we used FM 92.1 but the FM band has gotten more crowded around there so it's not so clean anymore. We used to have a list of distant stations that used that band, occasionally would hear call signs during meteor events.

I haven't researched 93.1, i just use it casually for personal observing, but my experience has been that there are plenty of distant stations on pretty much any band, the key is to find one with relatively little local interference. At least 0.4 away from local traffic on both sides is a must, & 0.6 is preferable.

Hope this helps!

Bruce
*****

Sent from my iPhone