(meteorobs) Possible alternate meteor monitoring frequencies

Paul Goelz pgoelz at comcast.net
Tue Jan 15 09:58:18 EST 2013

Not sure how much this applies to any particular area, but the last
couple days I am getting weak but very detectable carriers on
55.255.9 and 55.271.6.  These are the actual carrier frequencies, so
for a 1KHz beat note, tune to 1KHz lower (for USB reception).  These
are in between the "standard" channel 2 analog video carrier
frequencies, so I am not sure what they are.  On both frequencies, I
detect obvious propagation flutter as well as airplane tracks.  I
have seen a couple possible meteor returns, but the last day or two
has been very quiet on the standard frequencies as well.

I found these frequencies using a software defined radio ($16 TV
tuner dongle and HDSDR software receiver) so I was initially
suspicious that these were images or other spurious signals.  But
they are present using my TS480 on a different antenna so they would
appear to be genuine.  Using an SDR makes finding weak signals
child's play.  Simply look at the waterfall in the area of
interest.  Spurious or local signals will show as continuous lines
with no width or variation.  Signals arriving via ionospheric skip
will show as lines of variable intensity.  Tune to one and if you
observe airplane tracks, you have a potential meteor-useful
signal.  Signals that would be difficult to detect simply by tuning
around with a conventional receiver are easily found this way.

My best guess is that these signals are either very low power analog
TV repeaters, or possibly European TV.  The 10M ham band has been
very active recently, and I am unsure how high the MUF has been.

A possible explanation for the lack of meteor returns (aside from low
meteor activity in general) might be that these signals arrive via
more than one hop, making meteor enhancement less obvious.  ??

Paul

Paul Goelz
pgoelz at comcast.net
Rochester Hills, MI