(meteorobs) Possible alternate meteor monitoring frequencies

Jodie Reynolds spacerocks at spaceballoon.org
Tue Jan 15 19:12:13 EST 2013

Hello Paul,

I've been playing with Moxon vs Turnstile reflector antennas for Snotel, I'll
post some plans if you're interested once I have something worth
talking about. :)

Here in Sacramento, CA I've been listening for 55,254,900 since you
posted, but haven't heard so much as a blip (on a 6 element VHF-LO
beam pointed roughly NE at roughly 45degrees elevation - that should be good from 54-82 at least)

It's been pretty quiet with the TV stations out of Mexico that I
generally use, not much counted there.

> appear to be genuine.  Using an SDR makes finding weak signals
> child's play.

It also makes finding long expired General former ticket holders
calling current Extras who should certainly know better out of the
band plan at the top of AmSat-B/bottom of ATV with boatloads of gain behind them easy too
[Cough Mr. Tothero Cough]

I have one dongle on analog TV, one on your suspect frequency, one
skipping around playing with the amateur satellites, one poking at the NOAA
APT birds, and two playing with two different antenna designs for forward scatter from SNOTEL.  At
$6-$20ea, you can probably afford to build a listening array that
likely rivals the elint-gathering capacity of several small countries. ;-)

The cool thing is that you can record the entire I/Q and then replay
any of the entire 3MS range, not just the frequency you were
monitoring, back any time you want (which makes
decoding the digital birds a lot easier) - the downside is that it
chews up massive amounts of storage - 2GB every 3mins per unit.

 --- Jodie