(meteorobs) Possible alternate meteor monitoring frequencies

Jay Salsburg jsalsburg at bellsouth.net
Wed Jan 16 01:29:41 EST 2013

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Hambands_color.pdf

The 50 - 54 MHz (6M) band is very protected by Amateur Radio Operators(HAMS)
for Text Communications. Many Emergency Operations use this band for long
distance text Comm Traffic. CW Meteor RADAR can use this band but must be
below 50.1 MHz in Region 2 which include the Americas, the North Pacific
Ocean, and parts of Antarctica.

What you are probably hearing is bounce from HAMS TTYing each other. This
traffic will come and go, and will be sporadic in frequency with MODEM
Modulation in this Band.

A well-designed antenna and 150 watt CW transmitter on 50 MHz may be
detected reflecting Meteors very will as a Beacon at distances of hundreds
of miles.