(meteorobs) Possible alternate meteor monitoring frequencies

Paul Goelz pgoelz at comcast.net
Wed Jan 16 08:15:29 EST 2013

At 01:29 AM 1/16/2013, you wrote:
>The 50 - 54 MHz (6M) band is very protected by Amateur Radio Operators(HAMS)
>for Text Communications. Many Emergency Operations use this band for long
>distance text Comm Traffic. CW Meteor RADAR can use this band but must be
>below 50.1 MHz in Region 2 which include the Americas, the North Pacific
>Ocean, and parts of Antarctica.
>
>What you are probably hearing is bounce from HAMS TTYing each other. This
>traffic will come and go, and will be sporadic in frequency with MODEM
>Modulation in this Band.

Two problems with that analysis.... first, the frequencies I am
listening to are outside the 6M ham band and within the general area
used by the video carrier for channel 2 analog TV transmissions.

Second, I am a ham myself and know the difference between signals
modulated for the purpose of transmitting information and dead
carriers.  These carries are un-modulated.  They do show airplane
tracks but so far, they do NOT show meteors.  I am trying to deduce
the reason they do not show meteors.

I also note that while there are some similarities between the
airplane tracks on these signals and those on a known video carrier
on 55.260 MHz, there are also tracks that are not a match to those on
55.260 MHz.

I continue to keep open the possibility that they are not really
there since I am receiving them on a $16 USB dongle.  However, they
can also be heard on a conventional receiver on a different antenna
so I have to belive they are genuine.  But the bottom line is that
since I see no meteors, they are not useful for our purposes.  At
least not here in the midwest.

Paul
WA9PUL

Paul Goelz