(meteorobs) Possible alternate meteor monitoring frequencies

Paul Goelz pgoelz at comcast.net
Thu Jan 17 06:41:08 EST 2013

At 10:33 PM 1/16/2013, you wrote:
>For the benefit of a beginner such as myself, could you please
>elaborate on how to recognize airplane tracks?

Sure.  They look a very stretched out "S".

When an airplane sufficiently large to enhance the signal passes
between the receiver and the transmitter, it produces a Doppler
shifted return, the same as a meteor.  Like a meteor return, the
Doppler shift varies with the relative speed of the airplane vs. the
transmitter and receiver.  However, unlike a meteor, the Doppler
shift changes the frequency of the return much slower.... over a
period of minutes (usually) instead of milliseconds.

What you see depends on the scrolling speed of your spectrograph
display.  If your display is scrolling such that you only have a
minute or two per screen, an airplane return may be seen as a line
separate from the actual carrier frequency that moves from low to
high or vice versa, but not much in any given screenfull.  If your
spectrograph is scrolling such that you have more than 5-10 minutes
per screenfull, the airplane returns will be much more
obvious.  Typically, they will have a mild "S" shape.  The rate of
change and offset from the actual carrier frequency will depend on
the path of the airplane.

On 55.240MHz (very strong), I typically see anywhere from 1 to 15
airplane tracks at any given time.  On 55.260MHz (weaker), I see
between zero and 5.

Paul

Paul Goelz
pgoelz at comcast.net