(meteorobs) a strong return

Jay Salsburg jsalsburg at bellsouth.net
Thu Jan 17 22:38:41 EST 2013

Hello Paul Goelz

Yes it is a meteor. The bright areas on either side are artifacts of FFT.
There is nothing that can cause sidebands since the bandwidth of the window
is 300 to 3500 Hz and the source is monotonic, you can see a harmonic
directly above the trace; a distortion artifact in the receiver. This
frequency is off limits to any transmitter besides the Space RADAR Beam. My
receiver is set to 216.979 MHz and the Transmitter is 216.98 MHz. A sideband
would not look like this at that frequency. Besides, this is one of
thousands of Meteors that have created a signature such as this in my
receiver that I have recorded, and many other Receivers in this region
operated by many other than me, they get the same. Listen to some of the
Audio recordings in my NAVSPASUR Web Site, this will clarify you're your
judgment whether or not there are sidebands.

http://www.salsburg.com/NAVSPASUR/

Examine the Recordings I made of the recent Quadrantids, you will see many
such recording some in a row like beads on a necklace.

http://www.salsburg.com/NAVSPASUR/Quadrantids2013/