(meteorobs) Article of very special dust convergence pehenomena from the comet Holmes explosion, in the WGN 41-3 issue

Esko Lyytinen esko.lyytinen at jippii.fi
Thu Jul 18 07:01:48 EDT 2013

Hi all,

This itemn is not directly connected to meteors but is relevant in
connection to dust behaviour and meteor trails modeling.

There is an article by me, Markku Nissinen and Harry J. Lehto in the
upcoming WGN (that unfortunately is a bit late and is not out yet).
We have the permission to make our article public in the net, already.
And you can get the pdf in the link:

_http://lyytinen.name/esko/lyytinen-holmes_offprint.pdf_

You can see the details of the phenomena in this and also ephemeris.

We observed the phenomenon if February in the Southern sky on the very
difficults southern Milky Way background with remote controlled
iTelescopes in Australia, Siding Spring.

And we expect this to be again observable in the Southern sky around mid
August, and because of this we inform on this now, as early as possible
for interested observers to get ready for observing. The target is now
in principle observable maybe about two weeks (with not at all exact
bounds). Unfortunately during the otherwise best days when the Earth is
close to the orbital planes, the Moon is strongly disturbing this very
dim target. But the sky background itself is much more favorable than
the Milky Way background in February. Very good darkskies will be needed.

The best times to observe in August may be before the geometrically most
favorable situation, when the moon is still a crescent or later when the
gibbous waning Moons has not risen yet.

Then, starting probably in November there is expected to be observable
the convergence at the explosion site in the Northern sky. And the
osbervation of this is not restricted to when the Earth is naear the
orbital plane(s) and is expected to keep oservable for two years or
probably even longer. And this is probably somewhat brighter than the
already observed and that observable in August, but not for sure, this
depending on possible further "loss of reflecting material" by
evaporation or darkening etc.And then one can select observing times
when the Moon is not disturbing.

Regards,
Esko