(meteorobs) fireballs 23 July 2011

Marco Langbroek marco.langbroek at online.nl
Sat Jul 20 06:02:26 EDT 2013

Carl,

Much of your description fits "Chinese lanterns" - small hot air balloons
consisting of a bag and a small burner. They are popular with garden parties
etcetera. Especially the orange colour and the fact that (if I understand you
correctly) 3 objects appeared in succession shortly after each other, moving
along a similar trajectory, fits this interpretation.

The fragmentation you describe for the 3rd object is a bit odd though. Maybe the
burner was shedding material.

There were no satellite decays expected for that date (I checked). There was a
decay on the 22nd (so a day earlier) but that was a very small object and
moreover it would not have passed over S-Africa at the time you indicate. There
were no launches that night either.

I also checked ISS passes (as the ISS is also a bright, slow moving, sometimes
orange object). It made a pass right at the moment you mention, however very low
SOUTH of you, not north.

- Marco