(meteorobs) More fireballs with PER than with all other showers?

Michel Vandeputte michelvandeputte at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 28 08:20:14 EDT 2013

I agree with Paul.

Based on 23 years of observing, including almost 10.000 Perseids:

Perseids are capable to produce some nice and (very) bright fireballs. But I can't speak about a real fireball outburst of this shower.  But in case of some special Perseid returns in the past , there is an enhancement of fireballs (but also in correlation with more shower members);  I think about the 2004 return (Jupiters perturbation on the stream) and 2008 (the Saturn perturbation on the stream). In those years, the earth travelled trough some richer parts of the main stream due to planetary perturbations with direct result:  more meteors and more fireballs, but not a 'fireball outburst'.
The same case around the return of the mother comet 109/P during the ninties...

In normal years (as this year), we'll see a rather normal Perseïd shower with many weak meteors but also some brighter ones (incl. a couple of fireballs). But you'll never know... that's why we have to observe as many nights around the main maximum....

2016 will be more much interesting thanks to the next Jupiter perturbation...

Fireball streams?
-Taurids during the 'Asher years' (last one: 2005)
-some Capricornid or Kappa Cygnids returns...
-Geminids after the main maximum: the fireball window...
-the resonant Leonid outburst in 1998...
-...

Long trains,

Michel Vandeputte