(meteorobs) Perseid fireballs

Paul Martsching pmartsching at mchsi.com
Sun Jul 28 09:40:43 EDT 2013

The graph in the video shows nearly as many Geminid fireballs as Perseid fireballs.  I think what is being forgotten here is that the Perseids are active over a much longer period of time, so many more Perseids "occurred" to come up with "more" fireballs.  I think the percentage of Perseids that are fireballs is lower than the percentage of Geminids that are fireballs.  But the much longer duration of the Perseid shower means many more meteors were seen in total so more fireballs were recorded.

My general impression, without extensive review of my meteor records, is that compared to the Geminids and Quadrantids, the Perseids are somewhat lacking in fireball class meteors tho there are quite a few bright ones.  Likewise during some years there are quite a few bright Orionids (mag. -1 to -3), but no fireballs.

I define a fireball as being magnitude -4 or brighter, which may have some bearing on my comments.  (I don't know if it was stated with the graph what magnitude meteor was considered fireball class.)

I have been out watching meteors with various people who call any  meteor brighter that magnitude 0 a fireball.  I have also read articles in which any meteor magnitude -2 or brighter was considered to be a fireball.

Paul Martsching