(meteorobs) More fireballs with PER than with all other showers?

Bias, Peter V pbias at flsouthern.edu
Mon Jul 29 09:57:46 EDT 2013

Bob, Dan, and others,

Having watched both the Geminids and Perseids since 1967 I will have to slightly disagree with Bob on this one. My experience is that the Perseids are more likely to produce fireballs, but I think this perception is due to the persistent trains left after Perseids, while Geminids don't seem to leave those trains.

I must say that I have never seen a Geminid brighter than what I perceive to be a -6, but have seen several Perseids brighter than that. On the other hand, I believe we are very poor at judging meteor magnitudes, particularly without references in the sky. There are no -7 stars to compare to the meteor just witnessed.

In full disclosure, I've seen many more Perseids over my lifetime simply because the shower was more accessible (weather) from Ohio.

     Pete