(meteorobs) New Ka transmitter may be useful to Radar observers

Tony Beresford dberesford at adam.com.au
Fri Jun 7 10:14:48 EDT 2013

At 11:01 PM 6/7/2013, you wrote:
>Quite interesting.
>
>Hope they succeed. Of course, we may have to wait a few until more
>info about the transmitted signal could be available. But taking
>into account that Cuba officially start migration to Terrestrial
>Digital Television on June having a back-up is important. Right now
>I use a TV Channel 9 transmitter for meteor detection.
>
>Raydel,
>Havana, Cuba.
>

>2013/6/5 Pat <<mailto:pat_branch at yahoo.com>pat_branch at yahoo.com>
>NASA has a new radar system called KaBOOM which might be useful to
>those radar observers in the SE and Cuba.
>
><http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20130605/NEWS01/306040044/KSC-test-looking-up-asteroids?nclick_check=1>http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20130605/NEWS01/306040044/KSC-test-looking-up-asteroids?nclick_check=1

Raydel & Pat Branch,
The Ka band starts at 26.5 Gigahertz,goes to 40Ghz
this is a longest wavelength in this band is 1.1cm
so its only use for meteors is for head echoes.
because the beam width is so small fbat is also impractical.
then even US private citizens might find it hard
to get receiving equipment in this range.

Tony Beresford
Adelaide Sout Australia