(meteorobs) New Ka transmitter may be useful to Radar observers

Jay Salsburg jsalsburg at bellsouth.net
Sat Jun 8 16:39:01 EDT 2013

Hello

Yes I will explain...

The higher the frequency of RADAR, the more directional or narrower the beam
may be (Beamforming), revealing more velocity (higher Hertz per Mile an
hour) and detailed DATA from the return (3D), that is, if the bean is
scanned. Also, the beam is pulsed, distance and three dimensional DATA is
gathered. If multiple beams are used like with KaBOOM, Metrics like
composition, texture, and exact spin may be gathered. Ka Band is what the
more recent speed-determining Police RADARs use.

The videos from NASA on the KaBOOM RADAR, in fact, are using ARRAY back
scatter METROLOGY to construct 3D DATA from the scanned objects. They should
be able to make 3D images of the Asteroids. Also important is, Orbital
Metrics and whether or not the object has objectionable spin. The purpose is
to find an object where a ROBOT Lander can rocket the object into high Earth
Orbit.

This new RADAR is not useful or even possible for Amateur Meteor detection
in low Earth observation like NAVSPASUR or TV Transmitters is useful, for
instance, because there will be no useful forward scatter. Any scatter will
be at super high frequencies and occur only near the transmitter. By near, I
mean within a few feet. NASA may be able to use KaBOOM to scan for Meteor
fields but I think this activity would be expensive because Space is very
big. Remember that using Forward Scatter RADAR for Meteor detection is not
detecting the actual Meteor body, it is detecting forward scatter
reflections of ion trails only after vaporizing upon Atmospheric entry, the
meteor body itself is not conventionally detectable using Forward Scatter
both because it is too small and its velocity is very high.

This new RADAR is for determining if a known Asteroid is suitable for
Capture.

I will guess the Scientists will test it on mapping features on the Moon
first if they already have not done that yet.

Jay Salsburg
RADAR Scientist