(meteorobs) gamma Delphinids observation

Terry Johnson tenacious at cyberback.com
Tue Jun 11 11:07:16 EDT 2013

After my initial excitement over a bright, long-lived member at 2am local
time, I woke up my oldest son and headed outside.  Here's what I saw:

June 10/11 2013 07:25-8:53 UT (02:25-03:53 CDT)

Location: Greenbrier, Arkansas

(Long: -92.236; Lat: 35.273)

07:25-08:53 UT; clear skies with growing haze; LM 5.6; facing E 60 deg; Teff
1.5 hr.

Gamma Delphinids (DEL): three: 0; +1(2)

Sporadics: six total: -3; all others +2 and below

I did not see any that I could confirm were anthelions. The -3 meteor was
very slow and moved horizontally along the eastern horizon.  None of the
meteors had a train.  Since I was not observing for any showers other than
the DEL, I lumped everything else into the sporadics.

My 15-yr-old wanted to be outside with me to observe, and that was really
nice.  His observation pretty much mirrors mine.  Hopefully he'll turn into
a life-long astronomy lover.

--Terry Johnson