(meteorobs) FW: Could this radar be used for meteor forward scatter???

Jay Salsburg jsalsburg at bellsouth.net
Sat Jun 15 20:43:38 EDT 2013

No, the AN/FPS-85 is not good for meteor observation, it is classified
technically as a "Very Large Fixed-Array RADAR.". The reason it is not a
good candidate for Meteor observation; It is Scanning - Tracking - Scanning
- Tracking; several hundred times per second. This RADAR can track an object
the size of a basketball at a distance of more than 22,000 nm.. The Buzz you
reported is the energy being steered or formed to scan its field of view
which is due South over the Gulf of Mexico, so using it for forward scatter
would be ideally somewhere many miles offshore. The facility is only a few
miles from shore. Meteor observation needs Static or Meta Static beacon-like
energy. Even Analog Television transmissions are usable but still rather
noisy. A 100 to 1000 watt 40 to 60 MHz beacon is approaching ideal if the
receivers are at a proper distance.

Jay Salsburg

RADAR Scientist

Some links for study.