(meteorobs) meteorobs OT Question

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu Mar 28 18:15:15 EDT 2013

They don't have to be big. The thing about VLF is that you can detect
the magnetic component rather than the electric. I've made very
sensitive VLF detectors using 20 or 30 cm long ferrite rods wrapped with
thousands of turns of wire, feeding into a simple audio frequency range
amplifier. Processing is simple.

Not that one of these is on the Mars rovers or orbiters, but in
principle they could be.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory