(meteorobs) Possible alternative way to quantify radio meteors

Jay Salsburg jsalsburg at bellsouth.net
Fri May 10 22:55:24 EDT 2013

Hello Thomas

Over the past 35 years I have been experimenting with Microwave Motion
Detectors. I created Software that detects motion and records the velocity
data that can be subsequently analyzed and displayed in 3D in various Apps
like Excel, MatLAB, Statistica, etc. I spent years refining the tools in my
App allowing the user to adjust its granularity to home in on just the right
parameter of the velocity; like maximize the resolution, and disregard the
unneeded DATA. Most of what SpecLab records is useless spectrum or not high
enough in resolution for the events that really need better resolution. It
does have a great feature that my App does not, SpecLab is scriptable.

Study on how to make SpecLab adapt to the velocity stream is worth
investigating.

The one thing that is not mentioned in all these reports is to record and
archive the velocity stream (audio) for later analysis, now that DATA
Storage is so cheap. This eliminates the loss of DATA by depending on
real-time DATA parsing Apps like SpecLab.

A single Bluray Disk can store weeks of lossless compressed Audio DATA. It
would be prudent to create an App that burns overlapping Audio files to a
DVD (cheaper), say overlap the beginning and ending of the files by 10
seconds and start a new file every hour. Then a scheme to use two DVD
writers to sequence the writing process alerting the user to place a fresh
DVD in the appropriate writer when the older DVD is approaching full. With
only a few dense events per year, this recording scheme would not be too
tedious.

MatLAB has very good tools for displaying Velocity charts from Audio files.

Jay Salsburg