(meteorobs) F.W. Russell: New Post to Skywatchers Blog

Richard Taibi rjtaibi at hotmail.com
Mon May 20 10:39:19 EDT 2013

Some meteorobs readers may find this biography/history about F.W. Russell of interest.  Russell was a teenaged observer during the early to mid-1860s in the U.S.  He organized meteor watches among other teens in Massachusetts.  Their observational goals, as were everyone else's at the time, were to monitor the rise and fall of meteor rates around the dates of suspected annual meteor showers, like the 'August' and 'November' meteor showers.  I wanted to highlight the methodological issues that meteor watchers attended to at the time.  Russell, and observers in the US and Europe were cataloging the major annual showers and establishing the dates of maximum that we now know and take for granted today.

You can view the posting at http://www.usskyhistory.blogspot.com