(meteorobs) Meteor Obs. 5/18/13 - Mathias, WVa

George Gliba gliba at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue May 21 12:43:48 EDT 2013

         Screech Owl Hill Observatory, Mountain Meadows
                      Mathias, West Virginia
                         May 17/18, 2013

We had a mostly cloudy night, but there was one period of fair
to excellent transparency. I saw comet PanSTARRS with 12x63
binoculars, a few meteors, and a very bright -10 magnitude
fireball seen at 4:33 UT that had sonic booms 5 minutes later
at 4:38 UT. This was AMS Event #1081, which was seen over 8
States! There may be metorites in Pennsylvania. I was only able
to get an hour of formal meteor observing in, but the LM reached
6.5 for a short period, and I also got a good look at the super
maxumum of the Mira variable star Chi Cygni, which was at about
4th magnitude (slightly brighter than Eta Cygni).

5/18/13 - FOV various - facing mostly East - Obst. 30%

Time (UT)  LM  Obst. ANT SPO Total     Comments
5:25-6:25  6.0  30%   2   4    6      partly cloudy

Magn. Distributions 05/18/13, 30% obstruction
(5:25-6:25 UT LM=6.0)
     -1   0   1   2   3   4   5  total Ave.
ANT  1   0   0   0   0   1   0   2    1.5
SPO  0   0   0   1   1   0   2   4    3.7

Starry Skies,
GWG