(meteorobs) Obs: 04/05 Nov 2013

Paul Martsching pmartsching at mchsi.com
Tue Nov 5 12:28:21 EST 2013

A while after sunset it cleared so I went out to observe before the next batch of clouds moved in.  The first hour was fairly good.  The next hour the limiting magnitude got worse as brightly lit overcast moved in from the South.  The average LM during the second hour did not seem so bad as to account for the poor showing of meteors.

One of the problems with observing at McFarland Park is that any clouds in the southern and southwestern sky are lit by the sky glow over Ames and the lower the clouds the brighter they are lit.  Also I am limited in direction to face: East - Northeast - North - Northwest.  I only face SE if there is "something going on" and there are clouds in the North.  In the Ames area there are very limited places to observe without city/town lights in several directions and the ever present farm lights.  Several possible locations are low, because they are preserved for waterfowl, and they are prone to fog.  Also I don't like to drive at night.  After several hours of observing at a slant, it seems my sense of direction is a bit off and I have to be very careful driving home (besides watching out for all the deer).

Usual location at McFarland Park 4 miles NE of Ames, Story Co, Iowa, USA

05 Nov 2013 02:00-03:00 UT 39 deg F; dew pt 37 deg F; wind calm; clear; aver LM 5.6; facing ENE 50 deg to avoid lit clouds low in Southern sky; teff 1.0 hour.
AND: one: +1
NTA: three: 0; +2; +3
STA: one: - 1
Sporadics: four: +1(2); +3(2)
Total meteors: nine

05 Nov 2013 03:-04:00 UT 39 deg F; dew pt 37 deg F; wind SW 3 mph; mostly clear; brightly lit overcast slowly moving in from the South; facing ENE 50 deg 03:00-03:45; facing NE 50 deg 03:45-03:55; facing NNE 50 deg 03:55-04:00; average LM 5.4; teff 1.0 hour.
STA: two: 0; +1
Sporadic: one: +3
Total meteors: three

Soon after 10:00 CST is was completely overcast.