(meteorobs) Taurids from Iowa

Paul Martsching pmartsching at mchsi.com
Thu Nov 7 14:24:51 EST 2013

I went out last night to begin observing soon after Moon set hoping to see one or two Andromedids.  I saw none!  Which think is rather surprising since I was observing 4 & 3/4 hours.
The Taurids were modestly active.  I saw one EGE and three ORI's.

Late in the session a large owl flew over and landed on a crossbar of a nearby utility pole.  After a few minutes it flew off again.  It made no sound so I don't know what kind it was.

I quit observing because an Iowa DOT truck with a bank of extremely bright lights was very slowly making its way North up I-35 and stopping now and then.  I had heard a sound like a jackhammer from the SE off and on for a long time and I had wondered why the bottom half of the eastern sky was becoming unusually bright with no obvious haze, fog or clouds.  The lights were so bright I think you could have read a newspaper a mile away from them.  The Iowa DOT uses these lights during night time highway repair work.  I think the workers would need to wear sunglasses!  The lights are so bright and the glare so awful that it is dangerous to pass one of these night crews.

Shower meteors looked for: AND, EGE, ORI, NTA, STA

Usual location at McFarland Park 4 miles NE of Ames, Story Co, Iowa.

07 Nov 2013 02:00-03:00 UT 32 deg F; dew pt 27 deg F; wind West 9 mph; clear; aver LM 5.7; facing East 50 deg; teff 1.0 hour.
NTA: one: +1
STA: one: 0
Sporadics: four: - 1; +2; +4(2)
Total meteors: six

07 Nov 2013 03:00-04:00 UT 31 deg F; dew pt 28 deg F; wind West 8 mph; clear; aver LM 5.6; facing East 50 deg; teff 1.0 hour.
NTA: one: +1
Sporadics: two: +1; +3
Total meteors: three (no obvious reason for such a poor showing)

07 Nov 2013 04:00-05:00 UT 30 deg F; dew pt 28 deg F; wind West 7 mph; clear; aver LM 5.6; facing East 50 deg; teff 1.0 hour.
STA: two: 0; +1
Sporadics: five: +2(2); +3(3)
Total meteors: seven

Break 05:00-05:15

07 Nov 2013 05:15-06:15 UT 29 deg F; dew pt 27 deg F; wind West 8 mph; clear; aver LM 5.6; facing East 50 deg; teff 1.0 hour.
EGE: one: +3
ORI: one: 0
NTA: two: +1(2)
Sporadics: four: 0; +3(3)
Total meteors: eight

07 Nov 2013 06:15-07:00 27 deg F; dew pt 25 deg F; wind SW 5 mph; clear; aver LM 5.4; last 15-20 minutes lower half of eastern sky not so dark for no obvious reason; facing East 50 deg; teff 0.75 hour (45 minutes).
ORI: two: +2; +3
NTA: two: 0; +3
Sporadics: four: +3(3); +4
Total meteors: eight (45 minutes)

Quit because of DOT work lights on I-35.  Heavy frost.