(meteorobs) Telescopic meteors

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Sun Nov 24 00:13:21 EST 2013

    I suggest you try and find a copy of Amateur Telescope Making Advanced (Book Two) published by Scientific American.  My copy is dated 1954.  There is a chapter on RFT telescopes and telescopic meteor observations were discussed on page 644 in my issue.  Back then Professor, C.C.  Wylie, President of the Mid West Meteor Society suggested such a program using RFT , binoculars and other wide field telescopes for this.  He stated that the best place to look for such faint meteors is near the radiant where meteors are closer together.  Away from radiants you will see much fewer meteors.  When a member of the Regina Astronomical Society back in the 1950's we tried this with limited success.  Only a few faint meteors were seen as the field of view was relatively small and we consentrated mostly on un-aided visual meteor observations reporting our results to the late Peter M. Millman and his group at the Dominion Observatory and later at NRCC in Ottawa.  I don't know if anyone is still doing this today.  You could check with the American Meteor Society or the Meteor Section of the British Astronomical Association.
Ed Majden