(meteorobs) SNOTEL/SCAN - further info for radio meteor observers

Jay Salsburg jsalsburg at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 2 12:58:45 EDT 2013

Hello Thomas

Now that NAVSPASUR is turned off, I will start experimenting with your
suggestion to receive the 40.67 MHz SNOTEL carrier. I replaced my Space
RADAR Antenna with a long vertical Whip and tuned my receiver to 40.669 MHz
CW. At first glance, receive a sporadic monotonic low intensity line at 1200
Hz. A few days of observation should tell me if I should invest time into
creating a better Antennae. Thinking back, I should have done this during
the Perseids. In my long backyard, oriented in East/West, I should be able
to devise a vertically polarized Yagi about 50 feet long. The SNOTEL site is
180 miles away on a heading of 65 degrees.

Jay Salsburg