(meteorobs) ATSC Pilot carriers for forward scatter???

Paul Goelz pgoelz at comcast.net
Tue Sep 3 15:50:59 EDT 2013

At 03:37 PM 9/3/2013, you wrote:
>This topic has been discussed early, but I'm looking for users
>experiences. Has someone already tested for meteor forward scatter
>using ATSC Pilot Carriers at decimal (XX.310). How are the results
>does it worth to build an antenna?

Yes, I have occasionally heard meteors on a couple of the low band
(2-6) ATSC frequencies.  However, at least around here, there aren't
many low band ATSC stations at the right distance so results depend
on propagation much more than they do on NTSC channel 2.  Also, I
think the pilot carriers are relatively lower power than the NTSC
video carriers were, so the meteor returns are fewer and weaker.

Note that this is all using a non-directional 50MHz horizontal loop,
which is of course not ideal for TV channels.  I use what I got.....

Paul

Paul Goelz
Rochester Hills, MI USA
pgoelz at comcast.net