(meteorobs) Frequencies no go.

Bob Culbertson wa3ygq at cust.usachoice.net
Thu Sep 12 04:26:25 EDT 2013

Your 25 foot dipole is resonate at f = 468 / length in feet or 18.72
MHZ near our 17 meter ham band . The third harmonic would be 56.16 MHZ ,
unless that is what you are going for.
L (length in feet) = 468 / F (frequency in Mhz) for a 6 meter beacon
usually below 50.1 Mhz in Canada as in USA the total length of the dipole
becomes 9.34 feet or 4.67 feet per leg. Thats quite a bit shorter. For SWR
purposes when transmitting I would need to use the 9.43 foot dipole. Which
I do use here but only 3 to 4 feet above the ground (less than 1/4 wave).
Under the dipole I have have a 1/2 wave ground plane of corrugated aluminum
held down with cement blocks.This gives me high angle radiation with about
6 db gain at a 60 degree elevation where most visual and radio meteors are
seen.
Does this work? Oh Yes I have had plenty of contacts (QSOs) with other hams
comparing 5 watts QRP with this system and a 5 element yagi at 15 feet
running 100 watts.
My interest is in meteor induced Sporadic E (Em) on all frequencies.
www.twitter.com/wa3ygq  for  meteor Em tweets or look me up on
www.QRZ.com<http://www.qrz.com/>
for an Em explanation.

Bob WA3YGQ Good Luck on 6 meters