(meteorobs) Question about airplane and automatic counting Spectrum Lab

Raydel Abreu (CM2ESP) cm2esp at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 09:03:01 EDT 2013

Hello all,

Recently, by September 6th I was able to migrate my radio forward scatter
system from 187 MHz TV to 61 MHz TV. Obviously as the frequency is lower a
very high increment in rates is present.

With the previous system a manual counting was performed so false positives
by airplane traces were ignored. As my new system is peaking 150 meteor
traces by hour as an average manual counting is impossible.

A modified script for SpectrumLab based on the meteor_test distributed on
the software installation package was written to track the weak but
sporadic present direct signal carrier and it works very great.

However, at least one or two times a day some airplanes gets into the
working pass-band and produces a lot of false positives; producing false
"hotspots" which difficult to identified as airplanes produced or real
meteors outburst like the one recently detected by some members.

Any advice or tips??? Or a recommended better script to deal with this
"airplane outburst". The happening of this problem is very seldom, but
still affecting data quality. See efficiency and the "hotspots" in the
attached picture.

Thanks and best wishes,

Raydel, CM2ESP
Havana, Cuba.