(meteorobs) Meteor Observations - 04/01/14 - Mathias, WVa

George Gliba gliba at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Apr 2 12:07:45 EDT 2014

       Screech Owl Hill Observatory, Mountain Meadows
                    Mathias, West Virginia
                  March 30 - April 01, 2014

We had a freak smow storm on South Branch Mountain at
Mountain Meadows that was a suprise, but otherwise had
a couple of good clear nights for astronomical observing.
I managed to get a good view of Jupiter and Mars with
our 8-inch SCT and Comet LINEAR C/2012 X1 with 12x63 and
25X100 binoculars. Also, a few casual meteors were seen,
but some interesting meteor activity was noticed while
recording mateors later on the morning of April 1st.

Under very clear skies from 4:59 to 6:59 UT I was able to
see 26 meteors, including 9 Antihelions, 11 Sporadics, and
6 from a possible radiant of medium speed meteors coming
from near the Head of Draco (~17.8 +55).  They may have
been just chance alignments, but video observers may want
to check just in case there was activity from that area.

04/01/14 - FOV=17.2 +55, Facing NNE, Clear

Time (UT)  LM  Obst. ANT  DRA  SPO  Total
4:59-5:59  6.4  0%    2    3    4     9
5:59-6:59  6.6  0%    7    3    7    17

Magn. Distributions 04/01/14, Clear
Recorded Meteors from 4:59-6:59 UT, LM=6.55

      0   1   2   3   4   5  total  Ave.
ANT  1   0   2   4   2   0    9    2.7
DRA  0   1   1   2   0   2    6    3.2
SPO  0   2   3   1   3   2   11    3.0