(meteorobs) Comets of 1668 and 1843

Gary W. Kronk kronk at cometography.com
Tue Apr 29 11:32:44 EDT 2014

Actually, the accepted period of C/1843 D1 is considered to be somewhere
between 355 and 800 years, as determined by H. Kreutz (1901), B. G.
Marsden (1989), Z. Sekanina (2002). These were all determined using the
actual observations of the comet and/or a slight fudging of the orbit to
make C/1843 D1 and C/1880 C1 siblings of a comet from the previous
perihelion passage (mid-11th century). During 2008, a paper by Sekanina
and P. W. Chodas considered the observations and the overall evolution
of the Kreutz sungrazing family of comets. They determined the period
was likely 742 years, based on a probable link to the sungrazer X/1106
C1.

Marsden did look at a period of 175 years in 1989, in an attempt to link
C/1843 D1 to C/1668 E1; however, he found that this period did not fit
the 1843 nighttime observations as well as the longer periods and did
not fit the 1843 daytime observations at all.

Sincerely,
Gary