(meteorobs) July 31/Aug 1 2014 SDA/PER obs from North Florida

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 10:52:42 EDT 2014

Hello again meteor fans,
    I made good on my vow to get back out this morning, even though I lost
the previous night's crystal clear skies to pesky ozone and light cirrus
haze.  It was real bad most of the night, but did improve towards dawn, so
I managed to get in one hour of decent obs.
    I figured I lost about half a magnitude of LM to the haziness this
morning, so I was keen to see what affect that would have on my observed
rates.  Much to my surprise (shoot, everything about meteor watching
surprises me), I still had very good activity going on.
    I had 29 meteors total between 0415 and 0515 EDT this morning from my
rooftop meteor lookout station here in St. Augustine.  The SDAs were still
popping nicely, but the PERs and the SPOs were much less impressive than
the morning before.

Here's the data:

Observer: Paul Jones, Location 5 miles SW of St. Augustine, FL (Lat. 29.81
N, Long. 81.35 W), elevation: 30 feet.  Observing condition: LM: 6.0, Clear
with ozone and cirrus haze and lightning - 20% obstruction, Facing: south

0815 - 0915 UT (0415 - 0515 EDT) 1.0 Teff, no breaks

SDA: 9
PER: 6
SCA: 1
PAU: 1
ERI: 2
SPO: 10
Total meteors: 29

Mags:

SDA: +1 (1). +2 (1), +3 (4), +4 (3)
PER:  +2 (1), +3 (3), +4 (2)
PAU: +3
SCA: +2
ERI: +3 (1), +4 (1)
SPO: +2 (1), +3 (5), +4 (4)

The SCA was about the only meteor of the watch that left a train this
morning.  Even the one lone PAU was a rather mundane meteor.  The lightning
from distant thunderstorms off the coast, out over the Gulf Stream, got
real bright and somewhat obnoxious towards the end of the hour, flashing
like flash bulbs going off.  I was quite lucky indeed overall to get what I
got.

We'll see what Mother Nature has up her sleeve in the morning...

Clear skies all, Paul in North Florida

I was impressed with the SDAs this morning, they were still going strong
with a couple of fairly bright ones.  The PERs sort of took the morning off
as the ones I saw were faint and unimpressive.  Nothing came even close to
negative magnitudes for me this morning.  The SCA was a lovely silvery
glittering +2 that covered about 20 degrees of sky in the south.  The two
ERIs came about one minute apart