(meteorobs) Meteor Observations from Southern California July 30, 2014

Robert Lunsford lunro.imo.usa at cox.net
Wed Aug 6 19:22:14 EDT 2014

This was my first meteor watch since the Camelopardalids in May. I drove 50
miles east to Mt. Laguna to view under dark skies. I was surprised to see
several other cars pull in to the same clearing I was at and watch the show.
That's odd for a Wednesday morning and a SDA maximum. They did not stay long as
they probably expected a show similar to the Perseids.

The normal marine layer of stratus clouds over San Diego was absent over San
Diego this morning. That normally means the western half of the sky is washed
out. On this night though there was another problem as several brush fires were
burning in north county. There was a layer of smoke some 15 degrees thick just
above the western horizon stretching from north to south and no stars were
visible through that layer. Middle elevations of the sky were also hazy but I
still managed to obtain good LM estimates by viewing a bit higher in the sky
than normal.

I watched for 4 hours and counted a total of 61 meteors. 26 of these were
sporadic meteors. The most active shower by far was the Delta Aquariids with 20
members. The Perseids were far back with only 6. The most impressive meteor of
the night was not the brightest, rather it was a zero magnitude laser streak
that belonged to the Eta Eridanids. It shot though western Cetus and right over
the SDA radiant before disappearing in Capricornus.It also had a nice 1 second
persistent train that helped me judge its path.

Rates were good and increasing the first 3 hours. I must have pooped out during
the last hour as activity nearly fell 50% during that hour. That last hour
seemed to have more satellites than meteors as they were all over the place with
often 2 visible simultaneously.

Time (UT)    Teff   LM

0747-0847  1.00  6.59  ANT 0 ATR 0 CAP 1 ERI 0 PAU 0 PER 0 SDA 5 SPO 5 TOTAL 11

0847-0947  1.00  6.69  ANT 0 ATR 0 CAP 1 ERI 1 PAU 0 PER 1 SDA 5 SPO 8 TOTAL 16

0947-1047  1.00  6.56  ANT 1 ATR 0 CAP 1 ERI 0 PAU 0 PER 4 SDA 7 SPO 9 TOTAL 22

1047-1147  1.00  6.29  ANT 1 ATR 0 CAP 1 ERI 1 PAU 1 PER 1 SDA 3 SPO 4 TOTAL 12

Grand Total            ANT 2 ATR 0 CAP 4 ERI 2 PAU 1 PER 6 SDA 20 SPO 26  TOTAL 61

Magnitudes

ANT: +1 (1) +3 (1) Mean: +2.00

CAP: +1 (2) +2 (1) +4 (1) Mean: +2.00

ERI: 0 (1) +4 (1) Mean: +2.00

PAU: +1 (1)  Mean: +1.00

PER  0 (1) +1 (2) +2 (1) +3 (1) Mean: +1.67

SDA: 0 (1) +1 (4) +2 (6) +3 (5) +4 (2) +5 (2)  Mean: +2.45

SPO: -1 (1) 0 (3) +1 (1) +2 (1) +3 (5) +4 (8) +5 (7) Mean: +3.23

Robert Lunsford
Chula Vista, CA